The Dukan Diaries – Getting Back On The Horse
You might have heard of the Dukan Diet. It shot to fame as a popular and new diet to follow after Kate Middleton was following it in the lead up to her wedding to Prince William. She is just one famous name to have lost weight while following this diet.
We posted a story a while back, HOW TO LOSE 12 POUNDS IN A WEEK (click to read) by Charlie Coughlan, and it completely shocked people. In a good way (how couldn’t it?). Charlie has lost over 5 stone doing the Dukan Diet. And he has maintained his new weight fairly easily, while still eating a big grill every Sunday, steaks and homemade burgers for dinner whenever he wants.
So what is the Dukan Diet? The Dukan Diet essentially is a low carb, low sugar diet. You consume more protein (think meat, eggs, fish etc) and healthy fats (egg yolks, avocados etc). You CAN NOT possibly go hungry on this diet (or healthy lifestyle as we should call it). The diet is based on a list of over 100 allowed foods, as well as four specific ground pillars also known as phases: attack, cruise, consolidation, and stabilisation. Now don’t worry, you are not actually cutting out carbs completely, or sugars, you just lower the amount you take in. And trust us, you do not miss them after a week and your body (and energy levels!) will be thanking you. (And let’s not forget, no matter the weather, Bikini Season is drawing nearer and nearer!)
Over the next few weeks, we will post recipes, hints and tips, and meal plans. We will also explain the DUKAN DIET 4 PHASE STEPS. Jane Melia, from the Cork office will be starting it again properly after letting it slide over Easter (and if being honest, the last few weeks really!), and she will be doing a post up every week as her Dukan Diary. But to keep things interesting (and to stop her going mad with cravings), she will also be taking time out to also indulge us all in yummy not-so-healthy treats to make. (YAY!)
While Jane followed the Dukan diet on and off, she lost just over 2 stone. She hasn’t maintained it so well, and wants to push herself into following it now again for the summer ahead.
One of her go to recipes is Sweet Chilli Coconut-Lime Grilled Chicken and Cauliflower Lime Rice. (Serves 3-4) (Only able to eat on the Cruise Phase).
- 3/4 cup unsweetened light coconut milk, divided
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 medium-sized head cauliflower, grated (approx. 6 cups)
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine 1/2 cup coconut milk, sweet chili sauce and the juice of 1/2 lime in a large Ziplock bag. Add salt and pepper then squish to combine. Add chicken breasts then marinate for 30 minutes – 1 hour in the fridge.
- Preheat grill to medium-high, making sure grates are well greased. Grill chicken breasts for 4-5 minutes on the first side, then 3-4 minutes on the second side, depending on how big they are and how well done you like them. Remember to cut into one slightly to make sure it’s not pink! Remove to a plate to rest for a few minutes.
- Now, while the chicken’s marinating/grilling get your cauliflower rice ready. All you do is send a medium-sized head cauliflower that’s been chopped into big chunks through a food processor fitted with the grating attachment, OR grate it by hand using a box grater. (Bit slower, so maybe do it this way while chicken is marinating).
- Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in a very large skillet over medium/medium-high heat. Add cauliflower, season liberally with salt and pepper, and then saute until tender, 5-7 minutes. Squeeze in juice from remaining lime half then add 3-4 Tablespoons coconut milk, depending on how ‘coconutty’ you want it. Add cilantro then stir to combine. Taste first, then add salt and pepper if necessary, though I find it’s perfect the way it is with lime juice giving it a nice kick. Scoop onto plates then top with chicken.
Recipe and photos from here.
By Jane Melia