Here are some household items that are poisonous for your dog
While we’re all aware of the obvious chemicals that are poisonous for our dogs, there are some substances that we’re unaware of the dangers of.
Here’s a handy little list of some household items that are harmful to your dog.
Antifreeze: Screen-wash and some de-icers may contain Ethylene glycol, a substance fatal to
dogs and cats.
Antifreeze is available as a liquid to be added to the water in your car engine radiators to prevent freezing. Even small quantities spilled can be life threatening.
It is sweet tasting and attractive to dogs and cats, but is fatal to them so do be sure to keep such items out of your pet’s reach and mop up any spillages straight away.
Dispose any empty containers safely and out of reach of your pet.
Signs such as staggering movements; tiredness; increased heart rate; continuous vomiting, or
dehydration may suggest that your dog has ingested this poisonous substance, according to Dogstrust.
Chocolate and other ‘human’ foods: Chocolate meant for humans contains theobromine which can be lethal for your dog. Toxic doses vary according to the size of dog and cocoa solid content of the chocolate.
You should contact your vet if your dog shows the following symptoms; vomiting, a sore abdomen, excessive thirst, excitability, drooling, slow heart rate or convulsions.
Other toxic foods include raisins and grapes, and onions.
Xylitol: This is a sweetener commonly found in sugar-free foods, has recently been found to be toxic to dogs.
Human Medicines: As a general rule you should assume that any human medicine is likely to be toxic to dogs, as
very many of them are. Paracetamol is particularly dangerous as it can lead to death, or permanent kidney and liver damage which may require life long medical treatment.
If you think your dog or pet has consumed any harmful toxins you should contact your vet straight away and seek help.