Recipe: Yummy Scones
If you’re looking for something yummy but easy to make this weekend then we have the perfect recipe for you.
Cully & Sully have an amazing recipe wall with both savoury and sweet suggestions. We love their recipe for their yummy scones, easy to make but still delicious.
Here’s how to make them…
- Sieve flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Rub butter into flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add a sprinkle of caster sugar. Add milk (or milk mixture as above) & combine with your hands until the mix is soft but not sticky (add a bit more flour if necessary)
- Turn scone dough out onto a lightly floured board & knead/pat into shape until smooth and about 1½ inches thickness (3½ cm)
- Cut dough into rounds with a scone cutter, starting from the middle of the dough & working outwards.
- Shape leftover dough into a slightly thicker round & cut remaining scones.
- Place scone rounds on a pre-heated oven tray with sides just touching each other (this produces a softer sided scone & helps to support them).
- If you prefer crisp tops and sides place rounds of scone dough apart from each other on the oven tray.
- Glaze top of scones lightly with a pastry brush dipped into milk, then cook in a very hot oven (220c) for 12-15 minutes until scones are golden brown and you can smell them from the street.
- Serve with jam of your choice and whipped cream! Yuummmm.
- 300g (2 cups) plain flour mixed with 4 teaspoons baking powder OR 2 cups self-raising flour.
- 30g butter.
- A sprinkle of caster sugar.
- 180mls (3/4 cup) milk OR for a richer flavour & denser texture you can try half milk/half cream OR 1 beaten egg & add milk to make up ¾ cup OR half milk/half buttermilk – experiment with what you have on hand!
You can add raisins to them for extra yumminess if you wish!